Wait, what? Saffron in a dessert!? Oh yes, you’ll be surprised how well saffron works in a sweet dish, too. This Frozen Saffron Dessert is a very elegant dessert that features a deep aroma and an irresistible bright yellow color – perfect for a summer date night! It’s simple to make and sure to impress!
Saffron in a dessert
If you know saffron from savory dishes, you might be surprised to hear about a saffron dessert.
Yet, saffron has the brilliant quality of working great in sweet recipes, too. It gives the sweet parfait a distinct, deep and earthy flavor and you’ll get to experience something new with this delicious spice. Also, it transforms your dessert into a beautiful, bright yellow dish that is difficult to resist.
You may already know that I love to integrate different textures in a dish, even when it comes to desserts. That is why I added a Pistachio Crocante to this dessert. The flavors of Pistachio and Saffron go perfectly together, and the crunchy texture of the caramelized pistachio nuts bring this parfait to the next level. Combined with the fresh peaches and tangy flavor of the orange juice, this dessert will make you feel like you’re in heaven.
When to make this dessert?
For me, it’s a very stylish and luxurious dessert. As you might know, Saffron is one of the most expensive spices worldwide. It’s, therefore, a dessert to be enjoyed on special occasions, maybe a date night or an intimate celebration with your besties? It’s a great dessert to make ahead of time, and then serve it without any fuss, so you can fully concentrate on your guests, rather than on your cooking.
How to make Frozen Saffron Dessert Parfait
The parfait is very easy to make. The most important thing is that you make sure that the water bath does not touch the bowl when you stir the ingredients together. You can check the consistency by inserting a spoon. When you pull it out, it should be covered by the parfait, and if you run your finger along the spoon, the parfait should come off fully on your finger, leaving a mark on the spoon.
So, are you ready for a very special and luxurious dessert? Your guests will love this unique treat!
FROZEN SAFFRON DESSERT PARFAIT
Saffron Dessert Parfait
- 1 packet of saffron threads approx. 200 mg
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 g white sugar
- 200 g heavy cream
- 40 g pistachio nuts
- 30 g sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 peaches cut into very thin wedges
- 2 tbsp honey liquid
- 2 tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
Saffron Dessert Parfait
- In a medium-sized glass or metal bowl, soak the saffron threads in 1 tablespoon of lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a pot of water for a water bath and bring it to a boil. Add egg yolk and sugar to the saffron in the metal bowl (the water that the saffron was soaking in also gets incorporated, no need to drain it), and beat with a hand whisk over the hot water bath for about 7 minutes until creamy and thick. The bowl should not have direct contact with the water. Continue stirring until the parfait has thickened, but before it forms any clumps.
- Check the consistency by inserting a spoon. When you pull it out, it should be covered in parfait, and if you run your finger along the spoon, the parfait should come off fully on your finger, leaving a mark on the spoon. Once it has the correct consistency, immediately pour the mixture into another big bowl and let it cool down a slightly.
- Whip the cream until firm peaks form and carefully fold it into the cooled mixture with a spatula. Pour the parfait into 4 molds and let it chill in the freezer for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Without adding any oil, roast the pistachios in a frying pan for 2-4 minutes, while constantly stirring.
- In a small pot, add sugar and water, bring it to a boil and dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to a minimum and caramelize the sugar for about 2 minutes, until light brown, while constantly stirring. Add the pistachios and mix in.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and let them dry out in the oven at 80° Celsius (176° Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes. Finely chop the brittle on a cutting board.
- Mix honey with orange juice. Just before serving, cut the peaches finely, drizzle with the honey-orange juice mixture, arrange nicely on your serving plates.
- Dip the parfait molds in warm water to unmold them more easily. Unmold them directly on the Peach Carpaccio and sprinkle the Pistachio Crocante on top.