This is one of my all-time favorite summer salads- and soon, it might be yours too! The combination of fresh figs, peppery arugula, caramelized walnuts, and honey dressing is rich in flavors, while being very refreshing. People seem to love how beautiful it looks, so you can definitely serve it on a special occasion, or just during a normal weekday, because this Arugula Fig Salad so simple to make.
All you need to do is get the tastiest figs you can find. This salad puts the figs center stage, so it’s worth it to wait for the right season to get the yummiest figs.
The honey dressing makes the sweetness of the figs pop, and works perfectly with the bitterness of the arugula. The caramelized walnuts bring to the plate another texture that adds some extra appeal. If you’d like to make this salad more hearty, add some feta cheese, as its saltiness works very well with the fig’s sweetness.
Enjoy the beauty of this: both in looks and in taste!
ARUGULA FIG SALAD WITH HONEY DRESSING
- 100 g walnuts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp water
Arugula Fig Salad
- 3 figs
- 200 g arugula
- 200 g spring salad mix
- 80 g feta cheese crumbled
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 pinch of both salt and pepper
- Heat the sugar with the tablespoon of water in a medium saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat, add the walnuts, mix them with sugar until the sugar has crystalized around the walnuts. Place the saucepan back on the heat, continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes, while stirring constantly, until the sugar becomes liquidy again and fully coats the walnuts. The toasted-nut smell and golden brown color will appear when they are fully caramelized. Make sure to remove them from the heat before they get burnt. Leave to cool on parchment paper.
Fig Arugula Salad
- Wash the figs and cut them into fine strips, wash both the arugula and the spring mix and dry all the leaves well.
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, oil, and honey in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add the arugula and spring salad mix, then combine it with the dressing. Add half of the figs and mix carefully. Place the salad on a plate. To serve, add the other half of the figs and sprinkle the caramelized walnuts on top. If you like, garnish it with some feta crumbles as well.